Healthcare in Gibraltar


Gibraltar Health Authority is a department of the Government of Gibraltar and its purpose is to provide health care to the residents of Gibraltar. It has a community hospital where you go to repair a broken leg; the referral hospital where specialists save the life of your newborn; the residential care facility where your elderly loved one receive 24-hour care; the public health unit where your new baby is weighed and immunized; the mental health office where you can get support if a family member is suffering from depression or substance abuse; the home health workers who visit your disabled neighbour; and the environmental health officers who monitor everything from your favourite local restaurant to your drinking water.


Those needing emergency medical attention in Gibraltar are entitled to free NHS treatment on production of a UK passport.


If you are a contributor to the health care system you are eligible for free service from this public health scheme. However, UK citizens visiting you during your residence can also use the system during periods of "temporary residency",for example visits of up to 30 days. To access the healthcare system, your visitor must have a valid UK passport stamped upon arrival. They will then be eligible for free health benefits during their stay. (Note, this applies to all UK citizens stopping in Gibraltar, whether or not they are visiting someone.)



Through the Gibraltar Health Authority you can access a Group Practice Medical Scheme whereby contributors to the system receive free health benefits. In the event of you becoming a contributor, all your medical needs will be met either by outside providers, or on The Rock itself, which can be arranged by the scheme.


The Health Centre has general practice surgeons with more specialised services at the St. Bernard's Hospital which has more than 180 beds and offers outpatient services. In accordance with the size of the local population, some specialists can not be maintained on a permanent basis so highly specialised doctors such as paediatric neurosurgeons are flown in from the UK when required. The Health Authority can also provide essential ophthalmic and dental services as well as doctor house calls and subsidised medicine.


Cross Border Workers Healthcare (Residing in Spain and employed in Gibraltar)

If you work in Gibraltar you are entitled to medical treatment on both sides of the border.

You should first register in the country where you work and get an S1 form (former E106 form) from the Contribution Unit, Income Tax Department in Gibraltar. This form entitles your dependents to register for health insurance in the country where you live. Your dependants can receive treatment in the country where you work only when one of the following conditions is met:

• Treatment becomes necessary on medical grounds during their stay in that country, taking into account the nature of the treatment and the expected length of the stay
• Prior authorisation has been granted using form S2 (E112 form) issued by the health insurance authority in the country where you live.

To register as a Cross Border worker you must produce the following:

1) Certificate of Social Insurance Contributions / Latest PAYE

2) ETB work contract (yellow form)

3) Passport

4) 1 passport size photograph

Our registration office is located on the 2nd floor in the ICC building at Casemates Square.
Our opening hours are between 9am-1pm Monday to Friday.


EU Nationals who are not economically active and who reside in Gibraltar under a permit of residence or a residence permit granted under the provisions of the Immigration Control Ordinance and are either covered by a Private Medical Insurance or in receipt of an EEC form such as an E111 for immediate medical cover will be requested to pay the “Voluntary Contribution” towards the G.P.M.S.


EU Nationals of a pensionable age who become resident in Gibraltar may be entitled to access state health care without paying contributions. This is limited to pensioners who are entitled by virtue of reciprocal health arrangements, which exist between Gibraltar and the United Kingdom.
If at retirement age you become a cross border resident (i.e. Spain), you will need to obtain an E121 which allows you and your dependants to register in your country of residence. The E121 will be provided by the country where you obtain your state pension.


EU Nationals who are not members of the GPMS may receive free medical treatment, which the doctor considers to be immediate following an accident or other immediately necessary treatment for a period of up to 30 days on production of an E111. British Nationals only need to produce their British Passport.

You can access specific information about Gibraltar's healthcare services on the following numbers:

Health Centres

  • St Bernard's Hospital 200 79700
  • Royal Naval Hospital 200 55400
  • Cancer Relief 200 4239


  • Calpe Pharmacy 200 77231
  • Medical Hall 200 75764
  • Bell Pharmacy 200 77289
  • Valmar Pharmacy 200 74971
  • Baglietto Pharmacy 200 76822


Lifestyle Links for Gibraltar



For a up to date list of jobs in Gibraltar click here



Register your CV?

click here


©2018. Finding you the perfect job in Gibraltar.
sitemap.xml | Jobs in Gibraltar | Jobs in Malta